Hitting roads with RV is the best way to enjoy your spare time, but you have to make sure that your trip is cozy too. The best space heater for RV ensures comfort while being unnoticeable. Hence, in today’s guide, I am helping you to find the right one.
But that’s not it, you can find more options that look intriguing, but before jumping to the final decision before making a purchase, you must be aware of their working. Like regular indoor/outdoor heaters, RV heaters are categorized as follows.
Types of RV heaters
Mainly the best space heater for RV is either an electric space heater and RV furnace. However, there are also subcategories with their respective pros and cons.
If you want more options for electric space heaters, you should remain in the following categories.
1. Oil-Filled Electric RV Heaters
2. Infrared RV Electric Heaters
3. Vortex Electric Heaters for RV
4. Fan-Based Electric Heaters
How do RV heater work?
It is used to heat the primary heating system of an RV, just like residential furnaces but designed for RVs that run on propane gas.
· PropaneSupply: The furnace receives propane gas from the RV's propane tank or an external propane source.
· Ignition:The furnace's ignition system sparks a flame inside the burner assembly, which is fueled by propane gas.
· Combustion: The propane gas is burned, producing heat, which is then transferred to the furnace's heat exchanger.
· Heat Distribution: The furnace's blower motor forces air over the heat exchanger, heating the air.
· Ducting System: The heated air is then distributed through a network of ducts, delivering warm air to different areas of the RV.
· Thermostat Control: The furnace operation is controlled by a thermostat, which monitors the temperature and activates the furnace as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
Electric Space heater
Electric space heaters are standalone heating devices commonly used as supplemental heating sources in RVs.
They plug into an electrical outlet and use electricity to generate heat. Electric space heaters are available in different types, such as ceramic heaters, oil-filled radiators, or infrared heaters.
Working of an electric space heater
Electric space heaters are standalone heating devices that are commonly used as supplemental heating sources in RVs. They plug into an electrical outlet and use electricity to generate heat. Electric space heaters are available in different types, such as ceramic heat.
· Electrical Power: The space heater is plugged into a standard electrical outlet.
· Heating Element: Inside the heater is a heating element, such as a ceramic plate or heating coils.
· Electrical Resistance: When electricity flows through the heating element, it encounters resistance, which causes the element to heat up.
· Heat Distribution: A fan or natural convection helps distribute the heated air into the surrounding space.
· Thermostat Control: Many electric space heaters have built-in thermostats that allow you to set and maintain the desired temperatures, oil-filled radiators, or infrared heaters.
A Quick Buying Guide for the Best space heater for RV
Here are some quick tips for factors you need to check when buying a space heater for RV.
1. Size and Portability
Look for a space heater that is compact and lightweight, as it will be easier to store and transport in your RV. Portable models with handles or carrying cases are especially convenient.
2. Heating Capacity
Consider the heating capacity of the heater. RVs have limited space, so choose a heater that can effectively warm the size of your RV without consuming excessive energy. Check the heater's BTU (British Thermal Units) rating to determine its heating power.
3. British Thermal Unit BTU
BTU helps to measure the heating capacity and the heating output of a heater. You need a heater with a minimum of 3000 to 6000 for small RVs. For a medium RV, you need a heater ranging from 6000 to 12000, and a large one should be 12000 to 30000 BTU.
4. Power Source
Determine the most suitable power source for your RV. Standard options include electric, propane, or diesel-powered heaters. Electric heaters are convenient if you can access shore power, while propane or diesel heaters can be used even without an electrical hookup.
5. Safety Features
Safety is crucial, especially in confined spaces like an RV. Look for heaters with safety features like tip-over protection, overheat protection, and automatic shut-off. These features help prevent accidents and provide peace of mind.
6. Energy Efficiency
Choose an energy-efficient space heater to minimize power consumption and reduce the strain on your RV's electrical system or fuel supply. Look for heaters with energy-saving modes or programmable timers.
7. Noise Level
Consider the noise level of the heater, especially if you prefer a quiet environment. Look for models that operate quietly, particularly if you plan to use the heater at night while working or resting in the RV.
After going through several products, I have narrowed to these
My Personal Recommendation for the Top 7 Best Space heater for RV are
1. Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater
· Weight: 4.00 lbs.
· Dimension: 6.55 x 8.34 x 11.66 inches
· Power: 1500 W
The Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater is designed to be lightweight and portable, making it easy to move around your RV. Its compact size allows for convenient storage when not in use.
This space heater utilizes a ceramic heating element, which provides quick and efficient heating and allows uniform heating distribution all around.
Lasko Ceramic Heater includes an adjustable thermostat, allowing you to set and maintain your desired temperature. You can further get multiple heat settings, giving you flexibility in choosing the level of warmth that suits your comfort.
It is completely safe as Lasko Ceramic Heater gives priority to it. Equipped with overheating protection, hence, it itself automatically shuts off when the desired temperature is reached.
Additionally, it has a tip-over switch that immediately turns off the heater if it is accidentally knocked over. This heater operates quietly, making it suitable for use in an RV environment where minimizing noise is important.
· Has efficient heating
· Compact, portable, and lightweight
· Comes with adjustable thermostat
· Operations quietly
· Only suitable for medium and large RVs
· Heat settings are limited
· May break if mishandled
2. Dreo Space Heater for indoor
· Weight: 3.96 lbs.
· Dimension: 5.51 x 6.69 x 10.31 inches
· Power: 900-1500 W
The 2nd best space heater for rv is by Dreo Space which works on Hyperamics Technology that helps to turn your chilly RV into a cozy room when reached the desired temperature.
It is completely safe and heats up efficiently and quickly, the system offers heat day to night without any worries due to its ultimate protection. You can adjust the thermostat according by selecting the desired temperature from 41 to 95 degrees.
It further allows 70 percent of wide-angle oscillation sweeps to cover a broader area as it works with a Brushless DC motor and aerodynamic blades for smooth airflow without turbulence. You can easily carry it anywhere with its portability.
· Adjusting this heater is easy
· Comes with four heating modes
· Completely safe
· It is energy efficient
· Not suitable for large areas
3. De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
· Weight: 27.4 lbs.
· Dimension: 10.3 x 16.4 x 26.1 inches
· Power: 1500 W
The De'Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Heater is a reliable and efficient choice for space heating. Its silent operation and even heat distribution make it perfect to turn quiet spaces cozy.
The adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings allow for customized comfort, while the safety features provide peace of mind during use.
Although the heater takes a bit longer to heat up, its oil-filled construction ensures a longer-lasting warmth even after it is turned off as the oil retains heat. The mobility feature, such as wheels or handles, makes it easy to move around the house as needed. Overall, the De'Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Heater offers efficient heating, silent operation, and user-friendly features, making it a solid option for those seeking reliable and comfortable indoor heating.
· It offers steady and consistent heat distribution
· Works quietly
· Thermal cutoff and anti-freeze setting
· Prevents overheating
· It requires regular maintenance
· Bulky design
4. Mr. Heater F274800 Portable Propane Heater
· Weight: 11 lbs.
· Dimension: 18.5 x 18 x 11.4 inches
· Power Source: Propane
This is another option for the best rv space heater which is of reasonable price and offers efficient heating. It is versatile and works ideally to meet the temperature as well as aesthetics, the portability makes it easy to carry and move around.
You can totally count on it because of its safety protection and smart sensor Oxygen depletion sensor. In case of an accidental tip over and or low oxygen level, it shuts down automatically.
Not only in the RV, you can also use it as a portable camping heater, in short, it is undoubtedly the best heater for van life. However, the thing you need to keep an eye on is its propane supply as it needs consistent fuel for working.
It is recommended to get 1 lb. to 20 lbs. propane hose 1 lb. tank usually runs for 4 to 5 hours on low and 2.5 hours on a high speed.
Other than that, also make sure to have proper ventilation to avoid the accumulation of carbon mono oxide.
· It offers powerful heating with a range of 450 sq. ft.
· Compact and portable
· This space heater is fuel efficient
· Auto-shut off to prevent accidents
· Needs a steady supply of propane to work properly
· It requires proper ventilation
5. Honeywell HHF370B 360 Degree Surround
· Weight: 3 lbs.
· Dimension: 8 x 8 x 11.5 inches
· Power: 1800 W
The HHF370B utilizes a unique 360-degree design to deliver heat in all directions. This portable electric heater for camping even and widespread warmth throughout the room, eliminating cold spots and maximizing comfort.
This heater combines convection heat with a powerful fan to distribute warmth effectively. The fan helps to circulate the heated air, allowing for quick and efficient heating of the room.
The HHF370B features an adjustable thermostat that allows you to set and maintain your desired temperature.
Honeywell prioritizes safety with features such as overheat protection and a tip-over switch. The overheat protection automatically shuts off the heater if it reaches an unsafe temperature, while the tip-over switch cuts off power if the unit is accidentally knocked over, reducing the risk of accidents.
With its compact design, the HHF370B is easy to move and store. The heater is equipped with intuitive controls, including an easy-to-read temperature display and simple adjustment buttons. This allows for effortless operation and temperature management.
The HHF370B operates quietly, making it suitable for use in quiet environments such as bedrooms or offices. The low noise level ensures minimal disruption while providing efficient heating.
· Offers widespread heat
· Quick and efficient heating
· Compact and portable
· Not suitable for heating large areas
· It will not work in highly humid areas
6. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater 1500 W
· Weight: 19 lbs.
· Dimension: 12 x 15 x 13 inches
· Power: 1500 W
The Dr Infrared Heater, best portable heater for rv provides 1500 watts of heating power, making it suitable for heating medium to large-sized rooms. It is designed to effectively warm up spaces of up to 1,000 square feet, providing ample heat coverage.
This heater utilizes advanced infrared heating technology to deliver efficient and comfortable warmth. It emits infrared heat waves that directly warm objects and people in the room, creating a cozy and consistent heat source.
It is energy-efficient, helping to reduce energy consumption and lower heating costs, secondly, the dual heating system that combines infrared and convection heat for optimal energy efficiency.
The heater features an adjustable thermostat that allows you to set and maintain your desired temperature.
It further includes an auto mode that automatically adjusts the heat output to maintain the desired temperature, providing convenience and energy savings.
In terms of safety, it gives priority to it with the Dr Infrared Heater. It is equipped with tip-over protection, which automatically shuts off the heater if it is accidentally knocked over, preventing accidents. Additionally, it has an overheat protection feature that turns off the unit if it reaches an unsafe temperature.
With its lightweight and compact design, the Dr Infrared Heater is easy to move and transport. It also features a user-friendly control panel with intuitive buttons for adjusting settings and temperature.
· Efficient heating with a coverage of 1000 sq. ft.
· Uses infrared heating technology
· It is energy efficient
· Silent operations
· Portable user
· The oscillation is limited
· Initial cost is high
7. Handy Heater Plug-in Personal Heater
· Weight: 1.21 lbs.
· Dimension: 4.5 x 5.71 x 7.79 inches
· Power: 350 W
The final best electric heater for rv that we have for you is Handy heater which is designed for space saving and portable. It fits seamlessly everywhere.
Despite its small size, the Handy Heater is capable of providing fast and efficient heating. It utilizes ceramic heating elements to generate heat quickly, allowing you to warm up your room in a short amount of time.
This wall heater features an adjustable thermostat that allows you to set and maintain your desired temperature. You can easily customize the heat output to suit your comfort level.
The Handy Heater includes an energy-saving mode that automatically adjusts the heat output based on the room's temperature. This helps conserve energy and reduce electricity costs while keeping your space warm.
Safety is a priority with the Handy Heater. An automatic shut-off function activates if the heater overheats or is accidentally tipped over. This ensures the safety of both you and your surroundings.
Installing the Handy Heater is a straightforward process. It comes with a wall bracket that allows you to mount it securely onto the wall. Plug it into a standard electrical outlet, and it's ready to use.
Despite being a wall-mounted heater, the Handy Heater is designed to be portable. You can easily remove it from the wall bracket, use it in different rooms, or take it with you when traveling.
· Compact design, fits in tight spaces
· Efficient Heating
· Allows adjustable thermostat
· The coverage is limited
· Its operation is noisy
· Must need an electric outlet
How can I heat my RV cheaply?
You can also consider alternative rv heating systems that are comparatively cheaper.
. This includes
1. Insulating your RV: This will not only cost you initially but helps retain heat. You can insulate the doors and windows of RVs. You can get them for Amazon.
2. Use thermal curtains: The thermal curtains or reflective window covers help to insulate the RV and prevent heat loss.
3. Seal the drafts: Locate the areas from where there are chances for the cold air that enters your RV.
4. Get the heated mattresses: The heating mattressesrequire less energy and help to have a sound sleep without compromising the temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions | Best Space Heater for RV
1. Where do you put a space heater in an RV?
A space heater in an RV must be placed on a flat, stable surface with adequate clearance of at least three feet from flammable materials. It should not obstruct ventilation outlets or vents and should be connected to a stable and appropriate power source.
Consider placing it in a central location within the RV for optimal heat distribution. Ensure the space heater is stable and securely positioned to prevent tipping or falling.
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines for your specific space heater model.
2. What is the best way to heat an RV in the winter?
The best way to heat your RV is to get a space heater for RV. Other than that, you can do following
· Insulate your RV
· Use an RV furnace
· Consider portable space heaters
· Try to consume natural heat
· Use a heated mattress and blankets
3. What is the safest heater to use in an RV?
The best heater for rv use is the one that offers ultimate safety against tip-over protection and possess automatic shut-off function. This helps preventing accidents and minimizes the risk of fire hazards. The ideal heater for rv is electric space heater.
Conclusion | Best Space Heater for RV
Heating an RV is tricky as you must consider some factors to ensure your heater is not consuming much power. Hence, you must consider some factors, such as energy efficiency, to conveniently get optimal performance and coverage.
This guide is formulated to help our RV lovers for an easy and comfortable ride by bringing together all the best options that you can consider for your recreational van.
Enjoy your ride.